Our program is fully accredited by the American Dental Association Commission on Dental Accreditation. We value the dental profession, have a strong commitment to furthering dental education, and have a passion for the oral health of each person in our community.
Mission of the Department of Dental Education
The mission of the Dental Education Programs is to be a leader in providing high quality education and clinical experiences to undergraduate students for future roles as oral healthcare providers. Our programs are committed to excellence in the theory and practice of dental hygiene/dental assisting and in the development of competent, socially sensitive, culturally diverse, and ethically responsible professionals.
At the completion of the dental hygiene/dental assisting programs students will be able to:
- Exhibit the highest level of professionalism
- Deliver high quality patient care by the use of sound judgement, critical thinking skills, and evidence-based decision making
- Emphasize the role of the dental hygienist/dental assistant as a patient educator and advocate involved in community health engagement activities related to health promotion and disease prevention
To be able to fulfill the requirements of a Bachelor’s Degree in Dental Hygiene or a Certificate in Dental Assisting and promote the overall program goals, the graduates of the IUN Dental Education Programs will be able to:
- Apply didactic information through patient care experiences
- Demonstrate critical thinking through writing, communication, and listening skills
- Adhere to the ethical, professional, and legal codes of conduct expected of the oral healthcare practitioner
- Evaluate the different career roles of the dental hygienist/dental assistant
Please contact our department for more information.