Required General Education Courses
Secondary education majors must check with the Office of Education Student Services for changes in requirements.
The general education courses required for this program provide a liberal education regardless of teaching major.
Language Arts (12 cr.)
- ENG-W 131 Elementary Composition (3 cr.)
- ENG-W 231 Professional Writing Skills (3 cr.)
- SPCH-S 121 Public Speaking (3 cr.)
Physical and Life Sciences (minimum 6 cr.) from two or more of the following departments
Science majors should check with their advisors and take the most appropriate courses.
Social and Behavioral Sciences
- (6 cr.) must be successfully completed from minority studies and one of the following departments: anthropology, geography, public and environmental affairs, sociology, economics, history, political science, and psychology.
Social studies majors must take HIST-H 105 and AFRO-A 355 to meet this requirement.
Science majors must take GEOG-G 315 plus the minority studies elective.
- Non mathematics or chemistry majors
- MATH K200
- Mathematics majors
- MATH M118
- MATH M126
- Chemistry majors
- MATH M215
Arts and Humanities (6 cr.)
Total (30 cr.)
For more information, visit the Education page on the IU Northwest Bulletin.