WHAT DO YOU NEED TO DO TO SUCCEED IN A MATH CLASS?
- Attend classes : You are expected to be present for all class meetings. If you are absent from class, it is your responsibility to copy another student’s notes and be informed of any announcements made during class.
- Keep notes during class and save graded exams for later review.
- Ask questions during class to make the learning process customized to your class needs. It is up to you to make sure that your instructor explains everything in detail, at a pace that suits the best the entire group.
- Review your notesand the textbook examples, attempting to understand the main points of what was presented in class, before trying to solve the assigned homework problems.
- Work all homework problems the same day they are assigned and check your answers in the back of the book. Homework is an essential activity for you to achieve success in a mathematics class. If you have difficulties solving some of them, consult a classmate, a math lab tutor or visit your professor during office hours. It is extremely important that you clarify all concepts before the next class meeting.
- Organize your time as you should expect to spend at least ten hours per week outside the class working on this material.
- Before each exam you should at a minimum review your class notes, the text material covered, problem solving techniques, the assigned homework exercises and all recent quizzes.
- Don’t forget to get a good night’s rest before each exam.
- When you receive the exam questions, read quickly through all of the questions, and begin by doing first the problems you feel most confident about. This may settle your nerves! The more challenging questions should be left for later. Try to save a few minutes at the end to proofread your work before handing in the exam.
When seeking instructor’s help during office hours, it would be helpful if you would organize your questions in advance as much as possible, and be prepared to show your own homework attempts.
IUN provides free math tutoring services on a walk-in basis at HH 446. All Math Tutors are students majoring in Mathematics, a math-related field or are graduates with a degree in a math related field. In order to accommodate students with varying schedules, we offer evening and Saturday hours. For more information, please call the Math Lab at (219) 980-6979 or check Math Lab web page. Before visiting the Math Lab remember to organize your questions in advance, and be prepared to show your own homework attempts.