The ABC Residential Summer Bridge program at River Crossing campus housing at IU South Bend is designed to introduce you to the academic expectations of college and provide you with strategies and skills that will help you meet them. Through the use of specialized assessments, group activity, and guided self-introspection, you will have an opportunity to explore and better understand your interests, strengths, and challenges as a learner. You will expand your knowledge of the world of work and begin to identify your academic and career goals. The path will be one of self-discovery and commitment to success as you prepare not only to begin your associate degree studies at Ivy Tech, but also to begin to build the necessary foundation to transfer to IU South Bend for completion of your bachelor's degree.
Getting Serious About Your Future
- Individualized career testing and counseling to include the Strong Interest Inventory, the Myers-Briggs Type Indicator (personality inventory), and other career counseling instruments.
The goal: "to better understand who you are and why you're going to college"
- Exploration into the world of work and the many options that can set you on the path to a rewarding and fulfilling career that's right for you.
The goal: "to develop a Plan A and a Plan B strategy to map your future"
- An introduction to college success strategies, including study skills, time management, test-taking strategies, balancing college and life responsibilities, and more.
The goal: "to develop a strong foundation of college success skills"
- Mentoring through storytelling sessions, where successful students, faculty, and staff share their own stories of challenges faced and overcome.
The goal: "to learn how to get back up and back on track when life knocks you down"
- Personalized financial aid counseling and financial literacy training to help you maximize and retain your financial aid eligibility, minimize borrowing, and earn your associate and bachelor's degrees before you run out of aid.
The goal: "to develop a plan for how to pay for college and minimize loan debt"